Monday, May 11, 2009

The Beginning


So, what is the point of this blog? I wanted to create a place where optometry and optimism meet. Let me explain.



I am an optometrist. Every day, (well, four days per week right now) I perform eye exams, fit patients for contact lenses, treat wacky eye infections, and try to solve any eye problems my patients may have.




I am also an optimist, and I try to look on the bright side of things. I have been doing that more lately... being happy and thankful for the good things and people in my life... I am glad to be healthy, employed, and a member of a very caring family.




So why the blog? I googled "optometry blog" and found way too much negativity. All kinds of information about how optometry as a career is going downhill fast because of places like Wal-Mart. I do not work at Wal-Mart, and probably never will... but I do know some excellent, capable, intelligent doctors who happen to practice there. I am hopeful that hard work will pay off regardless of a doctor's mode of practice.




I believe that a positive attitude can greatly improve your quality of life. I think if more people looked on the bright side, then the world would be a better place. I believe in the Law of Attraction and The Secret... that each person has the power to make their life better.




So, being both an optimist and an optometrist, I started this blog with the following purposes in mind:




  • To talk about the good things happening in optometry, and look for solutions to the challenges facing our profession


  • To discuss new treatments and practice ideas


  • As a patient care tool


The last part, the patient care stuff... Not sure exactly how this is going to work, but was thinking of doing like one topic per week of the most common questions I get from patients. I always ask my patients at the end of the exam if they have any questions; I plan on writing down these questions for the next 2 weeks and then doing a new topic every week... And they could be based on whatever is going on in the world right now... summertime will talk about the consequeces of sun damage to the eyes... Fourth of July could be eye injury topic week.... you get the idea. I definitely want to cover sports and nutrition because those things interest me personally...



So there you have it, my first optimist optometrist blog. More to come later!







3 comments:

  1. Great post and over All fantastic blog!!! Visit our blog Optometrist in Watreloo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post.
    You share wonderful and important details through your blog.
    Thanks for this.
    optometrist cape coral fl

    ReplyDelete