Monday, December 8, 2014

Saving the animals!

The little found dog, who now has a forever home!
In case you couldn't tell, the Optimist Optometrist REALLY loves animals.  In fact, zoology was my major in college, and I thought for many years that I would be a veterinarian.  (working in a vet's office cured me of that idea). 

A couple of weeks ago, this cute little dog somehow made his way into my fenced yard.  He REALLY wanted to play with my two dogs (who are a little older, so they were pretty worn out after meeting the stray dog). 

The new dog (we will call him Gus, as that is what his new owner named him) looked like he was part Chihuahua and maybe part jack Russell terrier.  He had a lot of energy and just wanted to play.  He was friendly, but a little scared at first.  I fed him, and one of my neighbors and I took turns keeping him.  He had a collar but no tags.  No microchip either.

We put signs up in the neighborhood, and posted his info on Facebook and Craigslist.  Nobody was looking for this adorable little dog.  We found him a permanent home with another neighbor, and he is doing quite well.  I see my neighbor walking Gus often, and he always look happy.  I'm so glad he has a good home now.

Finding this little dg really made me want to help animals.  I had an idea while I was running (did I mention I did a half marathon at Thanksgiving?) of a way I could help... I thought, "what can I do that not everyone can do, to raise money for pets?"... and then I decided I would do a day of eye exams where all the proceeds would go to our local Humane Society!

Today was the day we did the event, which I called, "Save the Animals!  Eye Exams to Benefit the Humane Society."  I am so proud to say that today we raised over $500, and also got donations of pet food and treats!  I'm so excited to be able to help in this way.

I would love for each of you to think of a way you can make a difference.  It can be very rewarding to help out those less fortunate.  It's one reason I continue to be optimistic :).

No comments:

Post a Comment